Saturday, September 4, 2010

Me and Andy love our candy

The other day I was online and I came across this little tidbit of information:

"Andy Warhol would visit pastry shops daily, sometimes bringing home an entire birthday cake and eating it by himself. At sumptuous meals, he would abstain, explaining, ‘Oh, I only eat candy.' One time at an airport, his bag was searched at customs and found to be full of candy, chewing gum, and cookies. After his death, his collection of cookie jars was auctioned off for a quarter of a million dollars."

I had always liked Andy Warhol's work but after I read this, I was in love. "I only eat candy" are you kidding me, that is the coolest thing I have ever heard.

So anyways, in honor of my new favorite artist I am going to show you some of his works and share some interesting facts about the man:

Eight Elvises, c.1963 sold for 100 million dollars. This put Warhol in to the prestigious 100 Million Dollar Club, which includes Jackson Pollock, Vincent Van Gogh and Pablo Picasso


Grevy's Zebra, c.1983

Andy owned a Great Dane named Cecil. The stuffed dog is now on display at the Andy Warhol Museum.

Andy Warhol regularly attended mass at his church (St. Vincent Ferrer Church in Manhattan, New York) and was credited as being a very spiritual and religious man.


Guns, c.1981-82

Andy Warhol is the famed founder of the magazine Interview.

While in high school, Andy Warhol became ill with St. Vitus' disease, which is believed to be a complication of scarlet fever. The disease led Andy to develop into a hypochondriac, causing him to have a great fear of hospitals and medical doctors as an adult.


Dog, c.1986

Yes, the best for last, my beloved frenchie!

1 comment: