Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Take a Look, It's in a Book

I recently read a book titled High Fidelity. The book is about a man named Rob who owns a semi-failing record store, the book is not specifically about the record store but more about Rob's life and his past and current relationships. The book is filled with, as they call it, "desert island, all-time, top five" list. I love lists (as anyone who has read this blog must know) therefore when I read this book chock-full of lists it delighted me.

In honor of Nick Hornby (author of High Fidelity), I am listing my top 5 books read this year.

5. The Shining by Stephen King
This book is very entertaining. I found it more creepy than scary but if you are a bit of a fraidy cat you might want to steer clear because it is intense.

4. High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Not only did this book inspire this post it also entertained me immensely. The book if funny, charming and a quick read.

3. The Hunger Games (1, 2 & 3) by Suzanne Collins
I am counting these three as one book because lets be honest you read one you will read all three. Great story that is gets you hooked right from the beginning. I must say that the third book was a bit of a let down but that does not change the fact that these books are a must read.
Oh and team Gale all the way.

2. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The book is about a group of students attending Hailsham, a boarding school in the country side of England. It has a bit of a twist to the story so I am going to give you any more information than that, but I would highly recommend this book. It is thought provoking and completely heartbreaking. So so so good.

And my number 1 book of the year is
1. The Help by
Kathryn Stockett
I have already dedicated an entire blog post to how much I loved this book so rather than going into my love for this book again you can just read the post http://malanderic.blogspot.com/2010/07/mals-book-review.html.

If you like reading, or even if you don't, I would recommend all these books, of course you don't have to take my word for it (Reading Rainbow reference).

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE READING RAINBOW! & I love & miss you. Have read books 1 & 3 on your lists & love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I never knew High Fidelity was a book, but it was a pretty good movie with John Cusak and Jack Black. Leave it to me to see the movie based on a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mal! Melinda came in the back room today and was talking about how her friend knows the lady that wrote the book the help! You need to come back to Fuel so you can meet up with her and get a picture! (and mostly just hang out with me there... Tuesdays and Thursdays) PS I love this post because I need to read more and I never know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mally,
    i am taking this list very seriously, as i have become quite the lazy student and am wanting to spend my time in more enlightening ways than trying to pass the expert level of minesweeper, i swear its impossible.
    love you,
    abbey

    ReplyDelete