Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Best of the 2011 Award Season

The Oscars were this last weekend and they were fine but kind of boring, Anne Hathaway as a host was more awkward than funny and there was really no surprise winners but this post is not a critique of the Oscars, it is a post about the fashion. One of my favorite parts of the Oscars and award season in general is the fashion.

In this post I am going to show you my favorite looks of award season, this will include the Golden Globes, the SAG Awards, the Grammys and of course the Academy Awards.

I will start with the biggest and most important. This year I found the fashion at this Oscars to be a little underwhelming. The women looked gorgeous of course, but all the looks felt a little safe. Although I was not very impressed with most of the dresses, here are my favorites:

Gwyneth Paltrow in Calvin Klein. As I have stated in previous posts, Gwyneth is my girl and she is looking beautiful as always.

Celine Dion in Giorgio Armani Privé looked the best I have ever seen her, and she just had twins. You go Celine Dion.

Cate Blanchett in Givenchy Haute Couture. This dress may have made it into some peoples worst dressed category but I think it is a stunning dress. I love the back and no one can say that they have seen this look before. Also her styling is impeccable, gorgeous hair and makeup. Not safe and that's why I liked it.

Hillary Swank in Gucci Première. Sequins and feathers, sounds like the equation for for a Vegas showgirls costume, instead it makes a gorgeous, completely classy, Oscar gown.

Jennifer Lawrence looking smokin' hot in Calvin Klein. Maybe it looks a little like Baywatch but she is working it. I'll take her over Pam Anderson any day.

Next up is the Grammys. To be honest, the fashion at the Grammys never gets me very excited, maybe because most of the attendees outfits are so costumy, or maybe its because some the attendees don't exactly have the best fashion sense e.g. Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears.

I did however think one Pop Star looked beautiful:

Selena Gomez in J. Mendel. I think she is adorable and she looked so gorgeous and so classy that night. Well done SG.

Next up is the SAG awards. There are so many award shows and it seems like the SAG awards are the ones that no one seems to care about, including me. That does not mean I am going to ignore it though because here were some beautiful dresses there.

Rosario Dawson in J. Mendel. I am a sucker for yellow and this color looks so gorgeous with her skin. Like a Lemon Meringue pie I am eating this look up.

Lea Michele in Oscar de la Renta. I think she looks beautiful and this gown looks amazing, I do however have one critique, could you please crack a smile Lea, this is not a Victoria Secret photo shoot this is the red carpet. You look beautiful you don't have to make the sexy face the entire redcarpet. Nuff said.

Last but certainly not least is the Golden Globes. Personally, I was most impressed with the looks from the Globes. One trend at the Globes that I loved was all the sleeves, strapless dresses are so popular but I feel like playing with sleeves gives you so much more opportunity for creativity. Here are my favorite looks (all of which have sleeves):

Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace. I love the retro style of this dress, I also like the emerald color. One side note though, Angelina, you need to eat something. She is looking way to skinny these days.
Emma Stone in Calvin Klein. I loved the simplicity of this dress, the color was so fun and looks great on her. I think she looks awesome.

Eva Longoria in Zac Posen. This was my favorite dress in all of award season. This dress fits her like a glove, her body looks phenomenal and I love her minimal jewelry that let all the attention fall on her dress. Eat your heart out Tony Parker.

And there you go. My favorite looks of the 2011 award seasons. If you have a favorite look that you think I missed let me know I would love to hear your opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment